Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Galapagos to Nuku Hiva: Day 9 - I kneed pain killers!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

The pain in my knee hasn't gotten much better, but as opposed to last night (when it just ached constantly no matter what I did), the pain is very minimal as long as I keep my leg straight. This is really hard to do on a constantly rocking boat.

Our fresh food is getting low (we still have a good reserve of canned stuff), so we have put out the fishing line in hopes of catching something. With all these squid and flying fish we see jumping around (and onto our boat), these waters must be fertile. We actually put the line out yesterday, and I got 3 tugs on my line, but none of them caught. So there are fish out there!

Our speed greatly decreased last night (average 5.0 knots) and hasn't gotten any better today. Hopefully we get over this lull or it will take us a lot longer to get to our destination.

****

I am quite sure that what I am experiencing in my knee is another gout attack. Odd that it is in my knee this time, and not my big toe knuckle. It is likely from all the processed/preserved food and coffee that I have been consuming on this trip, I haven't been consuming much alcohol. I'll have to be more careful with what I consume from now on.

Hopefully it will be a short-lived attack

****

We ended up catching a Mahi Mahi today, so we replenished our fresh meat supply in the freezer. It was kind of sad, we saw his whole school of fish swim up to the boat with him and watched as we dragged him out of the water and on to the boat. I wonder if he was their leader or something. They looked lost without him. Maybe since we killed their leader, we will become the masters of their school. They will look to our boat for direction and follow behind us the rest of our trip. We are the great boat lord!

Probably not though.

No comments:

Post a Comment