Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Galapagos to Nuku Hiva: Day 8: A third the way there!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

...and every morning.





We hit the "one third the way there" mark last night at some point. We have travelled over 1,000 nautical miles (rum-line) and are less than 2,000 miles until our first sight of land.

We've been making great speed since we got the whisker pole back up the other day. We averaged around 8.8 knots yesterday during the day, even seeing 9.5 knots at some points. We reefed the sails in though at night, to be safe. You can't see the clouds ahead of you at night and therefore cannot predict the weather that is about to hit you. Squalls come out of nowhere and you don't want full sail and one man on deck if that happens.

I was ambushed last night by some pain in my left knee. It almost feels like gout and has swollen that bump 2 inches below your knee cap (when your knee is bent) and I cannot bend my leg without causing immense pain. I don't remember banging my knee on anything and there doesn't appear to be any external damage. I can recall that sometimes when I would sit on the passenger side of a car for longer car rides, that exact area of me left knee would start aching after awhile. The pain was a fraction of what it is now, and would go away as soon as I was able to get out of the car and straighten my leg.

Anyway, the pain kept me up most of the night and I'll I could do was take a couple ibuprofen and hope it subsided. That's one of the risks of big crossings like this, no medical advice anywhere. Any ailments that occur, you have to just deal with at the best of your knowledge and ability. And of course the WebMD app on my iPad doesn't work without an internet connection...

No comments:

Post a Comment