Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Nuku Hiva: Day 1 - Arrival!!!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

We're...there...

Sailing Across the Pacific Ocean 2013 (Part 13) - Exploring Nuku Hiva


I can't begin to describe how great it felt seeing land again today. Here is a shot of the first Marquesas Island we saw, Ua Huka.

It was not our Isla, but it was land, so I didn't care. Here is our Isla, Nuku Hiva.



It it so indescribably beautiful. Due to its high elevation, it comes into view about 15 miles out, and that gives you plenty of time to admire its beauty at sailboat speed (about 2 hours before actual arrival).

It took a few tries to get her anchored finally, but when we had the boat sitting still, we could finally appreciate the island in all its beauty. It was tough to focus on anchoring, when there were wild horses running on the beach not 500 metres from us. Pulling in, with the horseshoe-shaped mountainous range surrounding you, you got this sense not dissimilar from vertigo that left you speechless and in awe.

Here's me at helm trying to tame this sailing beast.

A few after anchor shots.





We went into town to get ourselves cleared and to get some Pacific Francs currency (and a beer first). Everything went wonderfully smoothly. People here are so incredibly chill. It really is a whole different world when you leave the big continents.

On the way back to the boat on the dinghy, we were treated by this sight, which made me realize this is exactly where I should be at this exact moment in my life.



****

I got stung by some mystery bug tonight. I was sitting on the transom, innocently enjoying the sounds of Marquesas native drumming in the distance (in the dark) and felt something on my leg. I swatted it with a semi-closed hand and caught it. It stung me so I threw it on the GROUND (ie. in the water). It felt huge and I don't know what it was, but what a dick. He's the one who landed on MY leg. I should be stinging him.

1 comment: