Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Fatu Hiva to Tahiti: Day 1 - The ol' anchor and chain

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Weighing anchor and taking off was a disaster today. After hauling in 100 feet of chain and the 70 pound rochna anchor, just as I was about to put in the securing pin and Gary had the boat underway, the windlass suddenly gave and the anchor fired downward back into the water at full speed. I had to jump on it, grab it with my hands (luckily my sailing gloves were on) and haul in 150 pounds of chain and anchor by hand before it damaged the propellor. It took some work, but I got everything secured with no damage to the boat.

We have decided not to stop in the Tuamotos on the way, and just go around them as they are dangerous and we do not have time. We need to meet Jan in Tahiti for the 14th. It is a 750 mile journey and should take us 5 or 6 days.

Off to Tahiti!

No comments:

Post a Comment