Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Galapagos to Nuku Hiva: Day 2 - Dolphins and Eagles

Thursday, April 11, 2013

I was on watch last night from 2:00am until around 9:00am this morning. I had trouble staying awake, so I set my watch alarm to beep every 20 minutes so at no point would the boat be unwatched for more than that. I would fall asleep for no more than 10-15 minutes at a time, but would have nearly full-length dreams, which made each of those short pieces of time seem like hours. It felt like I was on watch for days!

I saw a bat flying around our boat at one point last night, making his bat-noises. Soon after that I saw a second, and then a third, and so on until there were about 20 bats circling the boat. I got a little nervous as I wasn't sure where it would end. They were dive-bombing the boat, I guess going for squid or moths. Gary and I have a theory they are living in the boom. I might tape my GoPro and a flashlight to a pole and stick it in there to see the chaos that ensues.

We actually found some wind today, put up full sail and shut off the engine. The wind is pushing us more westerly than we'd like (not enough southing), but you have to take whatever wind you can get when you have 3,000 miles to go.

****

What a great day of sailing! We had 15 knots of wind for majority of the day and were hitting 8-9 knots at full sail and no motor. We had covered 200 miles by sundown already. Let's hope the wind is so gracious for the rest of the trip!

We finished the day off by blasting The Best of the Eagles CD and having a few beers. A big pod of dolphins started doing an amazing acrobatic show (best one yet!) off our starboard as the sun went down. I guess they are Eagles fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment