Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Galapagos to Nuku Hiva: Day 10 Gout vs. Whisker Pole

Friday, April 19, 2013

The whisker pole broke again today, in a new spot this time. Gary had luckily just woken up and got out of bed when it happened, because there was no way I could do anything with my "gout-ed knee". I was just finishing up my watch, looking forward, when suddenly it detached from the mast and was swinging around the deck smashing into things with the force of the sail. Gary ran as quick as he could to grab it, and I threw him a towel to secure the free end (this was all I could really do without moving). The bolt holding it to the mast broke, so we had to manufacture a new one out of some larger bolts we had aboard. It took about an hour and a half before we had the whisker pole working again.

We also caught another Mahi Mahi today. This guy was a bit bigger and we decided to let him go, as we had all the fish we needed. I am starting to wonder if Mahi Mahi are the only fish in the ocean. I've heard legends of fisherman catching beasts called 'tuna', 'wahoo', and more, but I have yet to see any of these mythical creatures.

We are approaching the halfway point and will hit in the next couple of days. It feels like we've already been out here SO long and should be seeing land already. I think hitting mid-way will be a great milestone and will re-energize us.

No comments:

Post a Comment