Friday, March 1, 2013

Isla Mujeres: Day 7 - Cohibas

Well, we have officially been here for a week. It is amazing the number of things that can pop up as a sailor that keep you at port.

We are still trying to get a replacement pin for our boom vang. Liam the Australian, that I think I mentioned in a prior blog entry, said his "friend" was going to make one for us. It is basically just a 4 inch bolt (5/8 inch wide) with a hole in one end for a cotter pin. Minnie and I walked all over the island today looking for a replacement. We went to 4 different hardware stores using limited Spanish to communicate our needs, but came up with nothing.

With no update from Liam the Australian, we decided to have a plan b "jury rig" incase we never hear from him again. We spent 7 hours today grinding down a quartz chisel so it would fit in the bolt socket.

It is still not done, but I think it will be pretty solid when it's done.

It was another crappy day weather-wise.

Minnie and I went out with some fisherman dudes for the night. They took us to a bar owned by three really attractive girls from Vancouver, BC. I have noticed a lot of bars with Canadian flags here. Apparently many Canadians come here.

My boy J.R. made my night when he handed me a couple boxes full of Cuban Cohibas for free because no one on his boat smoked. Cheers to not having a lighter!

No comments:

Post a Comment