Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Isla Mujeres to Panama: Day 5 - Power Troubles

Warrrrrrm! (read as Ace Ventura, drenched in sweat)

It is now 7:40pm on Friday, March 8th. I'm just lying down after kind of a crazy night and it is hot as can be in the cabin right now. We are surrounded by nice cool water and a wonderful cool breeze, but can't open any port holes because waves will splash in. The engine is running full blast as is this noisy, blazing inferno of heat that doesn't want anyone to sleep. We all look so funny right now, disgustingly sweaty, poor hygiene, lack of sleep. OH a pirate's life for me!

We were sailing along merrily and my watch was almost finished for the evening (20 minutes left). I was really looking forward to an ice cold post-watch sundowner beer, but at 5:40, we suddenly lost all power, our engine, and our gen-set simultaneously. Oh, and it also started to rain shortly after that moment. Gary and Minnie went below and got the engine running again (I feel bad for them, it must have been 100 degrees in the engine room), and they rigged the house battery to the furling battery again so that it will charge when the engine is run (slowly). Our gen-set is not working though. I took helm because we lost auto-pilot, and I have 7 days experience with that from my last trip (Bermuda to St. Maarten).

Minny is lending me her iPhone with an audio book on it to help pass the time during my night watches. The book is called "Nightwatch" and is a sort of sci-fi/fantasy with a comedic spin. I am enjoying it so far!

I'm going to try to get a few hours of sleep before my watch at 3am. We have switched to a fixed watch schedule (rather than rotating as before) so everyone's system can adapt to a new sleep schedule. It seems to be working much better.

Another beautiful sunrise!

No comments:

Post a Comment