Friday, November 23, 2012

St. Maarten: Day 9 - Shark Dive!

I went on a Shark Dive today with the Ocean Explorers Dive Center. It was surreal.



After diving into the water, you look down into the abyss and see nothing. After descending a few meters though, the feeding area starts coming into view. I saw about 10 Caribbean Reef Sharks circling around waiting for their dinner (ie. me). They had us descend using a rope dangling from the boat which connected to a horizontal rope that brought you over to the feeding area.



Once on the bottom, they had a row of cinder blocks circling the feeding area that we held onto during the feeding so that we weren't floating around. The sharks were swimming above, behind, in front and even right beside us. I got tail-whipped a few times and body-checked once by a bigger guy. At one point, a bigger shark stole the feeding rod from the feeder and we all cringed as we heard him chew and mangle it as if it were made of paper. When they look at you up close, their eyes pierce into your very soul.

I had a little fish taking cover underneath me the whole time. I was like 'Don't worry buddy, I got ya covered'. He even looked at me dead in the eyes at one point with his googly fish-eyes and was like "WTF are we doing here?" (I have video footage of this moment)

















































After the feeding, we were allowed to roam around freely with the sharks, and by this point any fear you had was gone. They are a truly beautiful and graceful creature and one that I now have a completely different perspective on.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment