Monday, November 5, 2012

Newport to Bermuda: Day 3

November 3, 2012


We were hit by a terrifying squall last night. Winds exceed 40 knots and the swells were monstrous, and you couldn't see more than a few feet outside the boat. I honestly thought we were going to die last night. After this I will never fear a storm on land again, it was just indescribable. Everything ended up fine though, no injuries and no damage to the boat.

After last night's terror, I decided to rig up some safety harnesses. I set one up at helm and two centred in the cockpit for crew.

The wind and seas are still pretty high today (25-30 knots and 10-15 ft swells), but I feel a lot safer now. I didn't film much today as I wanted two hands for myself.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to Bermuda safe and sound. I'm curious about what you did with the sails during the squall. From the pics, it looks like you were sailing on a furled jib most of the time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,

      Well we turned off the auto-pilot and our Captain took the helm. We had reefed the sails before it hit as winds were pretty strong the whole way. We had the main reefed all the way and the jib was reefed to about 30% of the sail. We basically just worked to keep our course.

      Delete