Thursday, November 22, 2012

St. Maarten: Day 8

November 22, 2012

I'm so excited for today! I found a 'Shark Dive' at a nearby dive shop (Ocean Explorers Dive Center). I inquired with them on whether or not I could join them on a shark dive, having no diving experience. You need experience for the shark dive so they set me up with a "Discover Scuba Diving" class today. It is a three hour class that goes over the basics and takes you diving at a few shallower/safer areas. It starts at noon and lasts about three hours.

Scuba diving was surreal. It felt like you were on the moon. It was very odd breathing under water at first, but you got the hang of it pretty quick. My (apparently rare) ability to pop my ears at will made equalizing a breeze. All those years going up and down the Hamilton escarpment paid off, lol.

The Ocean Explorers Dive Shop and the boat we were on.



The great descent...









We found a shipwrecked sailboat.














A barricuda. There was a school of about 30 of them that we saw. They were just little guys though.




Ascending back to the boat.




Tomorrow, again at noon, I get to look forward to the SHARK DIVE, where we get to experience a professional feeding (up close and personal) of some wild Caribbean Reef Sharks.

No comments:

Post a Comment