Monday, November 5, 2012

Newport to Bermuda: Day 1

November 1, 2012

Dolphins! Not even three hours outside Newport and we already saw our first dolphins. We had a second group of them swim beside our boat a few hours later, but I was at helm and the seas were pretty rough, so I couldn't get a shot of them.

We departed Newport at 6am this morning and had a good 20 knots of wind the whole day. Swells were around 8-10 feet, so it was a little rough, but not too bad. It was really damn cold though, especially at night.

I was on watch for most of the day and did a solo watch from 3:00-6:00am that night.

Ron was hit hard with seasickness shortly after leaving, but still was able to man a watch from around midnight to 3:00am.
Eugene and I had mild seasickness, but nothing we couldn't handle.
Stan literally slept the whole day minus a few hours after departure. And finally, Captain Hank is always at 100%.

I found that sitting in the cockpit, facing forward or lying down in the cabin, I wouldn't feel seasickness. But my god, just 30 seconds standing in the cabin would make me feel violently ill.

It's supposed to warm up tomorrow as we hit the warm waters of the Gulf Stream, which I am really looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment