Tuesday, November 26, 2013

New Zealand: Day 9 - Christchurch

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Christchurch has been shocked by large earthquakes over the last few years. The shadows of these quakes still loom throughout the town.
Much of the city looks like this. Many buildings are closed down and being reconstructed. Almost every street is blocked or detoured due to road construction (this part reminds me of Kitchener). 

The kiwis are strong-hearted people and there are efforts all over to restore Christchurch back to its former glory. For example, the mall here is closed down, so they brought in dozens of big shipping crates, which they set up in the parking lot. All the shops from the mall operate out of these crates in an outdoor mall. They are calling it the "Restart Mall".

I tried going to the museum today, but got sucked into the Botanical Gardens beside it. I am glad I did, because it was beautiful and huge. I was lost in there for over an hour.

White-headed duck?

The Peace Bell.

This massive tree (which I am calling 'Mother Tree') was the biggest tree I have ever seen. I put my backpack there for perspective.
It twisted upwards as it thrust from the ground, clenching itself tight like a giant wooden fist.

There were little ponds like this all over!

Some sort of art. Looks like garbage to me.

There was a big greenhouse in the centre, but it was closed down due to earthquake repairs.

A magnificent rose garden with a stone sundial in the centre.

A little taste of Canada. These are exotic here.

Sundials seemed to be a central theme to the park. These were all over.


No comments:

Post a Comment