Sunday, November 3, 2013

Fiji: Day 100 - Happy Diwali!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Happy Diwali everyone! Fiji has a large Indian population (near 50%), so it is a big celebration here. There have been fireworks everywhere and at all times of day/night for the last week.

We went ashore today to check out the resort. 

It was interesting being in a touristy atmosphere after cruising for so long. You look at everything with a new perspective and the artificialities become more apparent. It was a nice resort and we still had a really great time.

They had a big lovo for lunch. 

We got to eat with them for just $20 Fijian.

There were some fire-walkers from Beqa there who demonstrated their abilities.

Lunch was followed by a Polynesian dance show.

The fire-throwers were especially impressive.

Afterward, Gary had a nap in a hammock and Jan went for some 'nature walk' with a guide and a bunch of resort guests, so I just went for a circumnavigation beach walk on my own. Here is the far eastern end of the island.
You can see how narrow the island is in this shot.

It was a really serene walk. I don't think the resort guests come back this way very often.

The water looked like a barren wasteland at the south-western quarter of the island.

I found a really nice shell on the walk and treasured it with all my heart. It was in near-perfect condition and seemed extremely rare. However, I ended up finding a huge pile of them on the western point of the island.
I swapped my special shell for a better-looking one.

The western point of the island looked a lot like the eastern end, just mirrored.

This is where things got really interesting, there was some weird...thing floating in the water. It looked like a whale's testicle or something. It was pretty gross though and the size of my torso.

The walk concluded with a nice scenic shot of Wakaya with the iconic horizontal palm tree over a beach.

There was a turtle experience event when I got back to the resort. I was expecting a couple small turtles playing in a tank or something. But there was this huge shell buried in the sand moving around.
It seemed odd because I JUST walked past this exact spot during my circumnavigation and did not see this monstrous turtle buried in the sand...

He gave us a detailed information session on greenback turtles and got everyone pumped up to see this turtle before finally prying him up out of the sand. Everyone jumped when some guy sprung out of the sand from beneath the sand and yelled 'Bula!'

No comments:

Post a Comment