Friday, October 26, 2012

NARC Rally 2012, Day 3: Arrival in Newport

October 26, 2012

I woke at around 7:30am to sunlight beaming through one of the port holes. In addition, one of the sound-insulating panels fell off the engine compartment while I was sleeping, so I was staring at a bare engine screaming at me to get up.

I got some nice morning shots of a cruise ship that was anchoring in Newport for the day.


The shore was lined with multi-million dollar homes, which I couldn't get a great shot of as my GoPro doesn't zoom.





Here is a shot of Fort Adams. They have concerts there every now and then and open the doors up for boaters to cruise up, anchor, and listen to the show.


Newport has some incredible sailboats. Some of the biggest I have seen yet. The beast on the right is "The Artemis", a 144' yacht out of the Cayman Islands.


After docking, we helped a fellow NARC Rally'er bring in his 58' Swan (which was incredible). I'll try to get some more shots of this later.


And here is a shot of our boat docked.


I spent some time walking around Newport looking for some free wifi. I got a few pictures in before finding a Starbucks.

It's now 1:00pm, and I am sitting in Starbucks drinking a Pumpkin Spice Latte, writing in my blog on my iPad. If it weren't for my appearance and smell, one might label me a hipster.


I need to go find some soap and shampoo after this and want to get some shots of the "big" boats in the far marina. All I can see from here are massive masts towering from behind the buildings.

There are supposedly some amazing old castles in Newport, one owned by the Rockefeller family. If we have to delay a few days because of the hurricane, then I might try to get a tour of them.

On that note, there is a hurricane headed up the east coast as we speak. It is supposed to hit Newport around the day we planned to leave, so we will very likely be staying here for a few extra days this weekend before departing. Beer, football, and castles; I don't mind staying here a bit longer.

2 comments:

  1. Haha what a hipster!!! next you'll be searching for sundance films close to the docks. i'll get you some wide frame glasses for christmas and you'll fit right in ;)

    loving the pictures! your go pro is amaaaazing. looking forward to seeing more as your trip goes on! be safe!

    Missy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a silent noir film at a local theater yesterday. You probably haven't heard of it though. :p

      Delete