Friday, October 26, 2012

NARC Rally 2012, Day 2: Departure for Newport, Rhode Island

October 25th, 2012

Here is a shot of Huntington Marina, which I couldn't take yesterday. Our boat is at the very end of that dock.


Hank and I had breakfast at a small local restaurant right by the harbour. They had decent food and some cool rustic boating pictures and decor.

I met the owners of the boat when we returned, Daniele and his wife Daniele (no, that is no a type-o, they have the exact same name. Spelling might be off though). We have to refer to them as either Male Daniele or Female Daniele to differentiate the two. They are a French couple who tried to sell the boat a few years ago, but were unsuccessful. They have decided instead to send the boat down to St. Maarten and enjoy it. Male Daniele is a very skilled sailor and was a chemist for a big French perfume company. He earned his PHD in nuclear chemistry in France, but that industry kind of died out so he went to Victoria, BC and got another PHD in some other chemistry field which I have forgotten. He is retired but still works as a consultant for them. Male Daniele is joining us on the trip to Newport, and then heading back to New York.

The boat is a beautiful 49' Beneteau. It is very luxurious, more so than I can express in this blog. I'll do a video walkthrough of it when we arrive in St. Maarten.


We spent the afternoon fixing a few things and then set off for Newport around 4:00pm. It was going to be about a 14 hour trip.


Hank had a four hour nap from 8:00-12:00 while Daniele and I manned the helm. It was insanely cold with the sea breeze blowing on you constantly. I was wearing almost every piece of clothing I had. I am looking forward to getting into the warmer air down south. Hank took over the helm around 1:00am until we arrived in Newport the next morning.

I went to bed around 1:00am in the aft cabin. It was pretty tough to get to sleep with the boat rocking so much (And the noise from running the engine). We didn't have enough wind to cruise on the sails alone and we hit some pretty big waves for a few hours in the middle of the night, so I sort of slept in short intervals throughout the night, half-hour here, an hour there.

No comments:

Post a Comment