Saturday, October 27, 2012

NARC Rally 2012, Day 4: Hanging in Newport

October 27, 2012

Today was a little bit less eventful. Went out pub hopping with a buddy (Dale) from another boat last night. We were out pretty late, so I slept in this morning.

There was some sort of wedding going on in the harbour and they were using the marina washrooms. It was funny when I walked in there all dirty in my crappy clothes to have a shower and there were a bunch of guys in suits prettying themselves up in the mirrors.

Hank took everyone out for dinner tonight. The restaurant Benjamin's has a deal with the NARC Rally where we get 20% off food all week, $2.00 local beers and $5.00 "Dark and Stormy's" (Bermudian ginger beer mixed with a ton of rum). The dinner was free as part of the NARC Rally, and I got lobster bisque, caesar salad and topped that off with a 1.5 pound local lobster. With the 20% off discount, I can get lobster dinners for just $13.00 all week.

I've met a ton of different people from all over in the few days that I've been here. Everyone is incredibly nice, I am loving the boater culture and lifestyle.

My one crewmate, Ron, is from Mississauga and will be staying on the boat with me now for the rest of the time here. The other two crew are two Bermudian guys. One of them (Stan) has done the passage quite a few times. They are arriving tomorrow.

The one guy who sat beside me at dinner tonight (Phil) is a lobster-eating pro as he is from Halifax. He taught me how to eat lobster properly.

Hank is staying with a friend from Newport (Peter) who has been hanging out with us the last few days. He normally does the Rally too, but decided to stay home this year. He lives in a castle that was sectioned into apartments just outside of town.

One guy I met (Rob) reminds me of Bruce Wayne/Batman. He is sailing his own boat down with a few guys and has every gadget imaginable. He's the most prepared person I've ever met. He offered me a tour of his Swan 46', which I'll probably take him up on tomorrow. He is a CEO of a chemical engineering company.

I had a chat with a retired dentist (Joe) last night. I learned all about the effects of flossing (at a scientific level) and had him explain to me how multiple toothpastes can be the "#1 recommended by dentists." He is from Los Angeles and sailing down on that massive Swan 58' that Hank and I helped dock the other day.

The owner of our boat is letting me stay on the boat in St. Maarten until he and his wife fly in a few days later. That was a really nice offer and will save me a few nights stay at a hotel.

No pictures today, but I'll definitely get some in tomorrow!

ps. I have a terrible time remembering names, so I figure writing about people as I meet them will help me remember..

2 comments:

  1. Shaun - Sounds like you're having a blast. Actually working at something that you are passionate about is great. I'm enjoying reading the posts.

    We are just beginning to see the effects of Sandy in Mississauga. 50 - 100 mm of rain and up to 90 km/h winds. Time to batten down the hatches. Would be interested in reading how this weather is affecting the ships travel plans and what tools the Skipper and crew are using to make those decisions.

    Mike Barnes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input Mike. I'll go over everything we did to secure the boat down on video and ask my skipper what tools/resources he uses to decide travel plans.

      Delete