Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tonga to Fiji: Day 2 - Survival of the Fittest

Saturday, July 27, 2013

We upgraded the line on our fishing rod from 20 to 40 pound line and it made a huge difference. I felt much more confident in the strength of the rigging and was able to play it more.

After trailing the line for a few hours, something finally caught and I jumped up to start reeling it in. It was a real fighter and swam far and deep, so I figured it wasn't a Mahi Mahi. I was thinking either a Tuna, Wahoo, or some other mystery ocean fish. After a few minutes of wrestling with the thing and the fish still being hundreds of feet from the boat, a huge school of Mahi oddly swim up to the stern of our boat as if they were following us. I was confused, but figured I had one of their brothers on the line (even though its behaviour was odd for a Mahi and it was nowhere near the boat yet). When I finally reeled it in close enough to see, I see MORE Mahi swimming around my lure as if they are attacking it. There were a good 50 Mahi hovering around behind our boat as I realize I have hooked a small Tuna, and the Mahi are all trying to eat it.

Tuna are much stronger and more agile than Mahi, so he was able to avoid most of their attacks, but he was exhausted by the time I pulled him up to the boat. I saw the Mahi all lunging at him and did my best to pull him out of the water when they did and save his life so I could kill him and eat him myself.

We got the Tuna onboard and I threw the line back out in hopes of getting one of these Mahi. Within 30 seconds, I was fighting another fish and reeled in a nice big Mahi to go with our Tuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment