Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tonga: Day 25: Swallows Cave

Thursday, July 25, 2013

We went for one last snorkelling adventure before leaving Tonga to Swallows Cave on Kapa Island.

This was one of the creepiest places I have snorkelled. I was just waiting to get rushed by snakes again.

Matching the landscape above, there was a huge and steep cliff underwater leading up to the island.

Underwater cliffs like this are always great snorkel spots. I saw some unique coral fish swimming around.

Then the cave itself drops off into an abyss on the other side of the rock wall at its entrance.

Here is a view of the roof of the cave.

It was really discomforting swimming over a seemingly bottomless hole in the cave. The water was really blue though.

Here's a shot looking out.

I dove down as deep as I could and snapped this amazing picture looking out from underwater.

I did it again when Jan was swimming by overhead. You get a better idea how big the cave was with her as a reference point.

There was another less impressive cave a short swim from the above.

Here's looking up.

There was a disgusting and weird growth on the side of the entrance that freaked me out at first sight as I thought it was a monstrous stingray.

No comments:

Post a Comment