Saturday, February 23, 2013

Florida to Isla Mujeres: Day 4 - Dolphins!

February 23, 2013

Sailing Across the Pacific (Part 3)

My 3am - 6am watch this morning was fantastic. There were no clouds in the sky and a good 80% moon all night. It was beautiful.

We are about 140 nautical miles from Isla Mujeres as I write this (3:30am), so we should be arriving at some point in the next 24 hours!

Dolphins! We had a huge pod of dolphins swim alongside our boat today! I got some great footage, but my camera ran out of batteries before they left. I was belly-down on the bow, swallowing water, with my arm over the side for like 10 minutes to get underwater shots of them and didn't realize the camera had run out of batteries already. Next time we see dolphins, I'll immediately go for the underwater shot.

I put the fishing line out at 6:30am and had it out all day. Something big bit on to my first lure and ripped the line right off my fishing rod in an instant. I put another lure on and let it trail all day, but no bites.

The wind and sea conditions picked up a bit today as we rounded the edge of Cuba and no longer had its protection from the open sea. It was sunny with 15-20 knot winds all day and about 4 foot swells. Pretty nice sailing!

No comments:

Post a Comment