Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ft. Lauderdale: Day 1 - Arrival

February 13, 2013

My flights went well. The landing in Fort Lauderdale was pretty rough and we circled around above the airport for an uncomfortable amount of time. But there is nothing damaged in my bag and all is well!

Gary and Jan picked me up at the airport and brought me to their boat. It is a Hylas 49' that was incredibly customized by the previous owner. It is one of the most beautiful boats I have been on and makes you feel like you are on a boat twice its size! I have my own cabin with its own bathroom and shower (and electric one-button flushing toilets), and I have my own A/C. There is a full-size dishwasher and laundry machine/dryer aboard. There is an on-board generator and 250 gallons worth of fuel tank. There is also a water maker that pumps out 40 gallons of water per hour! (Normally a water maker makes like 10 gallons a day)

Everything is automated (electric roller jib furling & in-mast main furling). It was pretty dark when we got here, so I didn't get to see too much of the outside.

Gary and Jan are such a nice couple. We spent the evening drinking wine and chatting about our sailing stories. They also made a really nice chicken dinner for us.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow at some point, but we have some work to do during the day, so it might be later.

I am really looking forward to this trip, even more so now. I even got word that a friend from my last sailing venture may be coincidentally joining up with us in Cancun.

No comments:

Post a Comment