Saturday, February 23, 2013

Florida to Isla Mujeres: Day 2 - Keys

February 21, 2013

Today was a beautiful sunny day. I got my first real sun tan going on (a week after arriving in Florida...).

Goodbye Miami!

The seas were calm and wind was rather low, so we just motored again all day. Other than not being able to raise sails, it was a really nice day at sea.

We slowly passed by the Florida Keys all day and were considering a stop in Key West to refuel, but decided against it as we still had a fair amount and wanted to beat some mildly rough weather coming in.

We tried putting up the new whisker pole today when running downwind. The winds were light at about 6 knots, so we thought it was a good time to try it out. The first time we put out the pole, we found the jib sheet would rub against the lifelines, and we couldn't get the jib all the way out. So we took it all down and ran the jib sheet under the lifelines, which helped a bit, but we were still unable to get the jib all the way out. Hopefully we can figure out this whisker pole by the end of the trip.

Another scare, our main battery is showing 11.5 volts (instead of 12 volts) for some reason. We have been motoring since we left, so there should be no drainage on the battery. I hope this problem fixes itself through FM as well. I am about to lie down for as much sleep as I can get though (6pm) and leave the problem to the other guys. I have two brutal night watches tonight and tomorrow, so I figure I'd try to shift my sleeping schedule.









No comments:

Post a Comment