Saturday, February 23, 2013

Florida to Isla Mujeres: Day 3 - Cuba

February 22, 2013

I ended up taking Gary's shift last night so he could be well-rested today and spend the day working on the alternator to fix our battery recharging problem. It was a long, six hour shift but getting that long nap in beforehand really helped.

I woke up after just one hour of sleep and felt pretty rested. I didn't want to sleep too much as I will need another evening nap to get me through my 3am - 6am watch tonight.

We were finally able to put the sails up today! We have both a full main and full jib going with about 12 knots of wind on the beam. The seas are reasonably calm too, which makes perfect sailing weather.

We are coming up on the North-West coast of Cuba and it should come into sight later today. We are trying to get as much south as possible in the next 24 hours as we are expecting a strong south-easterly wind coming around the edge of cuba and would rather have that hit aft of us.

We put a fishing rod out in the afternoon, but didn't catch anything. I figure we are too deep and it was the wrong time of day. I will try again early tomorrow morning after my watch.

We saw a few adult Japanese Man-o-War float by, followed by thousands of tiny baby ones. They are all very toxic, so it would be a bad time too go swimming. They look like jellyfish with mohawks.

In the evening, we cranked some tunes and had some beers (not the person at helm though). It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment