Monday, July 15, 2013

Tonga: Day 12 - Kapa Island

Friday, July 12, 2013

We left Lape this morning and tried to make it to the Coral Garden during high tide. The passage there is really shallow and can only be navigated during high tide. We ended up getting there too late and had to find somewhere nearby to drop anchor until tomorrow.

Our first potential anchorage was not well protected, but. Had this beautiful little uninhabited island with a beach at the one tip.

We also passed 'Ava Island', which is named after my niece.

We settled on the second anchorage we looked at. It was well protected, had pristine clear water for snorkelling, and a nice little beach called 'Barnacle Beach'.

Since the water was so clear, I jumped in with a pair of goggles to watch the anchor and see if it was dragging or not while Gary and Jan reversed the boat. This is in 40 feet of water.

After we were secure, Jan and I hopped in the water and explored the shoreline with some snorkel gear.

There were some parrot fish, Napoleon fish, zebra fish,

I found Nemo, the movie can end now,

bright blue starfish,

and huge schools of bait fish.
I felt these little guys nibbling at me as if I were some sort of whale.

1 comment:

  1. I shot metamucil out my nose when you said ava's island is named after your niece. And then you caught me off guard again with the Nemo comment haha

    ReplyDelete