Sunday, November 24, 2013

New Zealand: Day 8 - Trip to South Island

Tuesday, November 25, 2013

I decided to leave Wellington early. The original plan was to stay five nights but I decided to take off after just three. Big cities are not really my thing and I couldn't really see any of the surrounding LoTR film sites without either renting a camper or paying for a $200 tour.

The temperature dropped and it decided to rain today, which made the walk to the ferry rather unpleasant. It was a long walk too, much more so than I expected at about 15km. Carrying around a 40 pound duffel bag made it even worse. Next time, I'll bring proper backpacking equipment.

The ferry was huge at 180 meters in length. All my clothes were soaked and they cranked the A/C, so the ferry ride was also unpleasant. 
I was plowing through hot teas the whole time to keep warm. The ferry ride was three hours in total.

Connecting to the bus was easy as always. It was a five hour trip down to Christchurch along New Zealand's beautiful eastern coastline.

I checked into the YMCA Hostel, which is really nice. I was surprised to find another Canadian and an "almost" Canadian in my dorm room (he was American, but right on the border).

The YMCA is a really well-funded hostel/gym/club. The hostel attracts all kinds of people, I even met some travelers in their 70's staying here.

No comments:

Post a Comment