Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Fiji: Day 53 - The Cave of Bones

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sailing Across the Pacific Ocean 2013 (Part 25) - The Cave of Bones


We went back to the village today after hearing about this 'Cave of Bones' that you can hike to. Sara was available obviously, so she guided us on the hike along with her cousin 'Neds'.

The cave holds the remains of some Tongan people from a great battle hundreds of years ago. The Fijians were known as cannibals, they would eat the bodies of their enemies to gain their warrior essence. So all these people were likely eaten as well...

We walked past their pig styes before getting to the hill and this one pig went nuts as I passed him, so I took a photo of her and the piglets making all the racket.
I was staring at these pigs longer than I thought because when I looked up, the group was gone and I had to run and find them.

The cave wasn't too far from the village

I wanted to go inside, but I was afraid it was some sacred place and it would offend them. Sara must have read my mind because she said we could climb in if we wanted.

So I did.

There were bones all over the floor and skulls that lined the walls.

This one's jaw shot open when I touched it as if it was screaming!
Scared the hell out of me. I closed his jaw before leaving...

On our way back, while everyone was thinking the day was over, Sara mentions that there are TWO other skull caves we can explore. The hike really set the mood with its 'Indiana Jones' atmosphere.

We had to climb this vine.
Just kidding, no we didn't.

But there were some skulls along the cliff face as we approached the caves.

This cave had a much steeper climb leading up to it.

And of course, bones.

There were remains of an old wooden boat in this cave. Sara told us the story of a man whowas out  spear fishing and accidentally speared himself in the leg. He then carried the wooden boat up to this cave along with his family, and died from his wounds. I don't quite understand the story, but that is what we were told.
 I don't know how he was able to get a boat up there, we could barely do it without one.

The climb to the final cave was MUCH more difficult, so Gary and Jan stayed back and I went with Sara and Neds. After an exciting vertical climb, we had to crawl through a really tight and pitch black tunnel.

There were no skulls in this cave, but it was full of bats. This is where the villagers all come when hurricanes hit the island as it is up high, large, and well-protected.

Sara wrote our names on the wall to commemorate our adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment