Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Intermediate Cruising Standard Course

I ended up staying on the boat for the two nights in between the courses. Jim and Phil arranged for this without me even asking. That was really nice, saved me a few hundred dollars over going back to the Bayside Motel.

My notebook somehow got mixed up in Ruth's belongings and went home with her. She scanned and emailed me all the notes I had taken, but I was still without pens and paper, which are essential to my studying. I emailed Brian in desperation, not expecting him to get it in time and to my surprise, he showed up the next morning like a hero with note paper, post-its, pens, pencils, etc.

The man, the legend.


Jim spent the week trying to make me nervous about the intermediate course. I knew he was joking, but was still unsure about what to expect. The first day didn't ease my mind at all. The weather was bad again but unlike the beginner course, we went out in it. We battled 25 knot winds and four or five foot waves. The nose of our boat was dipping underwater coming down from each wave. It was awesome.

The two crewmates (Mike and Dave) were racers, so they were very competent sailors and were able to act quickly and efficiently in high-pressure situations. Our instructor, Ormie, was a former pilot and held pretty much every sailing qualification in the book.

We couldn't find someone to take our picture together, so one person had to stand out and take the picture each time.

Here is (from left to right) myself, Mike, and Ormie.


Myself, Dave, and Ormie



The weather was much better this week, and we got to spend alot more time on the water. We were tacking for most of it as the wind kept changing to the direction opposite that which we were going. We had to intentionally backtrack a bit at one point just to get some gibes in.

We got to spend a few nights at anchor, and even went swimming a couple times before cracking the at-anchor beers.





Here are some random pictures on the water over the course of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment