Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Galapagos: Day 9 - Lava Tunnels

Monday, April 8, 2013

After spending the morning working on the boat a bit and trying to untangle that friggin genneker (see: Panama to Galapagos: Day 3 - Genneker), Jan and I went for a quick tour of Los Tuneladas de Bella Vista (The Lava Tunnels of Bella Vista).

We weren't going to go, but these tunnels were labelled "do not miss" by Lonely Planet, so we figured we'd squeeze them in our schedule.

It was a pretty standard tunnel. Supposedly the second largest lava tunnel in South America (2.25 km long). There was a string of lights running through the tunnel, but only a few bulbs were working (about every 100m). So it was a really good thing I had my trusty sailing flashlight with me. They gave us a crappy flashlight that barely worked, but my light shines like the Eye of Sauron, you might as well be carrying the sun with you through the tunnel.

The entrance.

The middle.

The end.

I don't know what Lonely Planet was talking about, but I would put the tunnel last on your list of things to do if you visit Galapagos.

We did a quick provisioning run before heading back to the boat. Since you have to take water taxis to and from your anchored boat, we have to bring food and water back in small runs rather than one big run.

1 comment: