Sunday, September 9, 2012

Welcome to my sailing blog!

Welcome to my sailing blog!

My name is Shaun Bockmaster. It was just in June of this year that I discovered the sailing/cruising lifestyle and immediately dove right in as I knew it was the life for me. I've always desired freedom, self-dependence, and off-the-grid living enriched with travel and adventure. Although I'm sure some would disagree, I think that with proper training, preparation, and planning, sailing can be your most effective method of travel experience per dollar. If travelling is what you truely enjoy, why make a vacation out of it when you can make a life of it?

I took both my Basic Cruising Standard and Intermediate Cruising Standard courses consecutively on one week live-aboard courses in Kingston (posts to follow) in August. I also took a home-study Coastal Navigation course beforehand. My goals now are to continue taking sailing courses and to secure crewing positions over the next year that will give me the experience and education necessary to make a career of this.

The purpose of this blog is to document my many travels aboard a sailboat and to hopefully spread awareness about and inspire others to look into the cruising lifestyle. For now it will be filled with pictures, videos, and posts during any crewing positions I partake in over the next year and beyond. Hopefully, in the near future, I can take you along with me on adventures I design aboard my own boat.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment or send me an email. I would love to hear your questions/feedback.


1 comment:

  1. Sailing is an uplifting undergo. You can do it to relax, to sail the oceans looking for an adventure, or maybe just to have some fresh sea food. Either way, sailing can be a path to discover yourself or for performance. Www.HalcyonSailing.Com

    ReplyDelete