Friday, December 6, 2013

New Zealand: Day 14 - Skydiving

Monday, December 2, 2013

All the extreme sports I will be doing involve jumping from ridiculous heights, and I have always been uncomfortable with heights and planes. I figured I would book them right away and get them over with so I can actually enjoy my time in Queenstown without fretting things to come.

So, today was skydiving. I went with Nzone who offers jumps from three different heights, 9,000, 12,000, and 15,000. The 9,000 was much cheaper, but in the words of Ron Swanson "Don't half-ass two things, full-ass one thing", so I went with the 15,000 feet.

It was a quick bus ride out to the drop zone and then an hour wait until our jump. 
They had giant chess too, but screw that, skydiving is crazy enough for me.

They do up to 200 jumps a day here, which was shocking to me. They had streamlined the whole process and even had a 'factory-style' parachute packing system to keep up with the jumpers.

It felt like a revolving door in there and everything was rushed, which really trivialized the accomplishment. Jumping out of a damn plane was a big deal for me!

I gave in and paid the $200 for a photographer to jump out with you to snap photos and film your jump. It's either that or NOTHING; not a single photo of your jump. They do not allow you to bring your own camera on the jump. I justified the purchase as having my own, personal, professional photographer jumping along side me would yield some great photos. However, he had absolutely no enthusiasm for the jump (didn't even pretend to) and took just the bare minimum photos to fill the album they give you.

Even the album that your photos come in was crappy. For what I paid it should be trimmed in gold, not falling apart by the time I carry it back to my hostel!

All complaints aside, the actual jump was incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment